New Apps for Microsoft Outlook that Take Your Inbox to the Next Level
Microsoft Outlook is an integral part of every-day tasks for most individuals whether they use the desktop e-mail client or access their messages via the Web-based interface. Office 365 users are well aware that Outlook is primarily used to send, receive and store emails, but it can also serve as a personal information management tool. Since it is easy to use, smart and is well-integrated with other software, the following apps can make the use of Outlook more fun and productive.
Office 365 subscribers can install these Outlook add-ins into both the desktop and online versions of the application. Installing these just once and letting it synchronize will allow a user to make use of the apps on any device, wherever they are.
To access the online Office Store
- 1. Log in to Office 365 online
- 2. Click the Office Store tile
- 3. Choose the add-in you need
Our teams at Xelleration agree that these are the top five add-ins that can take your Outlook inbox to the next level:
1: Bing Nearby
Bing Nearby is an Outlook add-in for inserting an info snapshot of a restaurant, coffee shop, or hotel directly into the body of your email, meeting, or appointment. Use Bing Nearby to search for the place you want, then drop it straight into the body of your Outlook appointment. The info snapshot includes the address, phone number, name, user-ratings, and more.
Whether it's an onsite meeting with an important client or a lunch meeting with the team, it is important to get there on time. The Bing Nearby app gives you instant access to Bing's mapping features from your Outlook interface.
- 1. Start composing a new message or creating a meeting on the calendar
- 2. Click the Bing Nearby icon
- 3. Type in an address or the name of a restaurant and the app will give you location choices.
- 4. Click one of those choices and the pertinent location information will be attached to the message or calendar entry automatically.
Bing Nearby is free and is produced by Microsoft as a supplement for Outlook.
2: Find Time
Have you ever spent more time deciding when to meet than actually meeting? FindTime is an add-in for Outlook that helps you come to consensus on a meeting time. It shows what days and times work the best for people within your organization. Propose your selected times to all attendees and allow everyone to vote. Once you reach consensus, FindTime sends out the meeting invite on your behalf, eliminating the time consuming back-and-forth usually required to find the best meeting time.
FindTime was developed by a team at Microsoft and is a free add-in for Outlook and requires a first-time account registration.
Being successful at business is all about building strong relationships and personal connections. Often, these personal connections are made face to face in an informal, friendly environment, over a cup of coffee. Business is a lot easier and more fun while building that personal connection through the new the Starbucks for Outlook add-in.
This add-in makes it easier for you to have that personal connection by enabling you to meet your customers, business partners or study group at your favorite Starbucks location, all with a few clicks from your Outlook inbox.
- In the gray ribbon at the top, click the "Starbucks Send an eGift" icon. It will appear on the far right side on the "Home tab".
- Select an eGift card design.
- You will be prompted to sign in to your Starbucks account. (Don't have one? Simply create one by clicking the link in the pop-up.)
- Enter the recipient's name.
- Select the dollar amount.
- Select your payment method. (You can add a payment method if you don't have one on file.)
- Click "Purchase eGift Card" and your purchase is complete. The eGift card will be inserted into the message and it's ready to send.
Connect over coffee
With the Starbucks for Outlook add-in, you can easily schedule meetings at Starbucks stores directly from your email. Here's how:
- Select "Meet at Starbucks" from the meeting request ribbon.
- Enter a location in the add-in on the right side of the meeting request.
- Select location from the map or scroll down and select location from the list.
- Select store by clicking "Select Store". The store address will be inserted into the meeting invitation and it's ready to send.
The Starbucks add-in is currently available in the United States.
4: Uber Ride Reminder
With the Uber add-in for Outlook, you can set an Uber ride reminder for any calendar event. When it's time to leave for your event, Uber will send you a notification on your device. This is the first release of the app, so are definitely excited for the upgrades for future versions.
When you act on the notification, the Uber app opens up with the destination already set. You just need to confirm your request. The destination information is grabbed from your Outlook appointment.
- 1. Create an Outlook event
- 2. Select Uber from the Apps section
- 3. The Uber add-in will request your phone number attached to your Uber account
Organizing your email becomes more difficult each year. Boomerang for Outlook is an email add-in that helps you increase productivity while also creating a better work-life balance.
Boomerang lets you schedule emails to be sent at the optimal time, makes sure you remember to follow up on important messages that don't get a response, and makes scheduling a meeting a snap! Users can schedule a message to send at a specific time in the future or snooze a message out of their inbox to resurface at the top at a pre-determined time if there is no response.